Why Do We Judge???

It seems that lately I have personally been faced with alot of JUDGING people! It is because of that, I find myself taking a look within to see if I too am guilty of judging others. Nothing can make me angrier faster than someone who is judging me for doing something that they too have done in their past. But somehow they have forgotten!

It is so easy to sit outside of a situation and say what you would or would not do. However, the truth is, YOU DON'T KNOW! You don't know until/unless you are in that situation. Now I will admit that I have learned that lesson during the last 5 years. There are some things I have done, been involved in or dealt with that you could not have told me in a MILLION YEARS I would have.

So what are your thoughts on WHY WE JUDGE??? Our own insecurities? Our false realities? Our upbringing? Fear? What? I propose that it is FEAR!? To me fear encompasses ALOT . It is easier to Judge than to say... You know I feel/felt the same way, I experienced that also, I see how that could work so well or I wish I could do that too.

People have a FEAR of what others THINK! Period! So Judging is easier.... Much more of a reflex/second nature. You did WHAT!? She did WHAT?! He said WHAT!?

So to you AND to me I say... Next time you feel that urge to speak about what someone else has done/is doing, RESIST! Instead TRY to look at it from that person's point of view. And what's in your past OR present that you wouldn't want to be judged on??!! Remember your path in life is not the only path!

I'll leave you with a quote that I really like....
"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."-- Dr. Wayne Dyer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judging is such an ingrained part of our society that breaking the pattern within ourselves would be a miracle! If we ever are able to break the pattern, we will be tested and tempted to rejoin it daily. We do it so often. We do it in our religious groups. "She cheated on her husband! What a hussy!" We do it in our social circle of friends when we look at people who aren't in our circle. "Oh my God! Look at what she is wearing. I would never!"

I agree with you about the fear aspect. I think judgement comes from fear. However, one step deeper, I think that fear comes from the lack of introspection that we all have. Who takes the time to look inside and ask themselves how they really feel? Who takes the time to ask themselves what is important to them before placing others' feelings first. After all, we don't want to be considered selfish, do we? Who takes the time to block out time to be alone with nothing but our own thoughts and feelings so that we can identify with who we are. I think this is the beginning of where we stop judging. We stop judging when we are comfortable enough with ourselves that we don't need to look outside at other people and what they are doing. We know there is plenty of work to do at home!!!

Great blog, Sally! Hope things are going well in the condo.

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on this...I am judged every day and it annoys the heck out of me. Love you! Amy